Restless Legs Diary

The story of me and my legs trying to get along (and maybe even sleep together)

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Wigglometers

So Dr. Sleep gave me the oversized-pager-shaped "activity montitors" that attach by velcro around my ankles. He lovingly referred to them as shackles.
I've worn them before, during a drug study, but they don't seem to do what they're supposed to do. If you shake them up like a bottle of orange juice, the little counter goes wild.
However, if you cross your ankles and hold them mostly still while you pulse and tense and wiggle your thighs, the monitors don't really catch it. In other words, there's a whole lot of shaking going on that the monitors don't register.
That said, last night they registered a whole lot. Wearing bulky socks (when I'm used to no socks) already made the night uncomfortable. The monitors cuffed me around the socks, so they didn't chafe my skin.
So, of course, I'm too hot. And the little pagers keep rolling around to be under my leg.
I start out the night thinking I'm tired enough to conk out pretty easily. I end up leaving Bed #1 and going to Bed #2, where I have the same problems. Plus it's cold.
I fall asleep after it's light out.
Now I'm a jittery mess of bouncing leg and coffee. I feel like I should have one of those beer hats, except with tubes for coffee and water leading to my mouth.
Ready for night two of the three-night study. And then ... Mirapex. I've got my fingers crossed.