Restless Legs Diary

The story of me and my legs trying to get along (and maybe even sleep together)

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

More drugs, less sleep and some raw data

So I had my doctor's appointment yesterday. The Wigglometers confirmed that I have restless legs syndrome. Well, not really that. But they confirmed periodic limb movements, which most RLS people have.
That was a surprise to me -- I didn't realize I was moving during the night. During a 10-minute episode, I would have 15 or so spikes in movement, spaced fairly evenly.
That, I guess, was what they were looking for. The Wigglometers were smarter than I thought. They measured when I was upright and when I was horizontal. Fairly interesting.
Today, it's back to the sleep-deprived world, somehow. I blame Mirapex. I figured I could stay on Eastern time, even setting my alarm for 7 a.m. instead of 7:30. But then I upped my dosage to .25 mg.
Taking the full pill was not so fun. There was the initial jitters, then the good period that nonetheless makes me conclude I won't be sleeping downstairs. Then there's the waking up in the middle of the night part, with heat and chills and an unwanted erection that doesn't go away and a general weird medicated feeling.
Let's hope that goes away after my system adjusts. Dr. Sleep said that 1 to 2 mg is the dose that most people respond to. I can't imagine taking 4 to 8 times this amount if it's going to be like this.