Restless Legs Diary

The story of me and my legs trying to get along (and maybe even sleep together)

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sleep thermostat

A vacation told through a sleep diary:
Arrived in Anchorage around 2 a.m. -- twilight in the land of the midnight sun. Slept well enough. The next night, after a long day with plenty of exercise and plenty of daylight, I slept like a champ. A little chilly, and on the basement floor, but it was great. The next day I felt like Superman.
I should mention that I cut back on the Mirapex. Whether or not it has any beneficial effects, it has some negative ones. Ones that didn't bother me at the lower dose.
There was plenty of drinking throughout the weekend, which I didn't want to interact with the Mirapex. The next night we spent in a hotel in Seward overlooking the water and mountains, drinking wine and eating fresh bread and Brie. I slept on a cot, and not so well. One day only as a superhero. The last night's sleep in Anchorage was also pretty bad, too cold and unable to get the heater working right.
Where should I put in that the trip was unbelievably spectacular? Mountains, water, glaciers, a bear, a moose, CRAZY birds (harlequin ducks, arctic terns), a kick-ass host, plenty of in-town fun and the joy of toasting the sunset at midnight. Why mope -- sleep isn't everything.
Then, to leave Anchorage at 50 degrees yesterday and return to 100 degrees outside and a house tightly sealed up. There's humor in the fact that I couldn't sleep one night because of the cold and the next because of the heat.