Restless Legs Diary

The story of me and my legs trying to get along (and maybe even sleep together)

Monday, November 27, 2006

Back in the States

I'm back in the country and back on the blog, now that it's clear people are reading this.
I had a brief restless-leg drug scare crossing the Canadian border yesterday. I brought nine capsules of Gabapentin (three days' supply) with me to Vancouver in a small pill case with the label peeled off. There was also some powder in there left over from when I was between doses and splitting capsules.
A big snow in Vancouver (where it never snows) had brought things to less than a crawl, and (because it never snows) no one plows or knows how to drive. We were almost expecting to be pulled over and searched to cap off the perfect four-hour border crossing. And that's what happened.
I was inside the check station waiting for them to search the car. And waiting for them to come back asking about the white powder in the unmarked pill container. But they never did.
We got out of there, but the drive was no less treacherous. Indeed, there was nowhere to stop the car for the next five hours or so. Again, no plowing -- and nowhere you could pull over and use the bathroom without getting stuck in the snow. It took several hours just to get through Bellevue.
After driving 12 hours with the steering wheel in a death grip, it was nice to sleep in my own bed again. Well, I mean, to lie down for a while in my own bed and then go upstairs and shake myself to sleep in a cold bed in The Hotel Room.