Restless Legs Diary

The story of me and my legs trying to get along (and maybe even sleep together)

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Let's have a marriage. Let's have a marriage license.

Today I visited the county tax collector's office, which doubles as the "marriage license (and) domestic partner registration" office. It was exciting yet a little sad. Exciting and happy for me, of course. It's been said that people getting married are among the most selfish breeds, and I can see the logic in that, even if I don't fully agree.
But sad because that was the very same office that, a year or two ago, gave hundreds or thousands of same-sex couples their marriage licenses. Not domestic partner registrations, mind you, but the real thing.
And now, that privilege is reserved for people like me. And I was the only one there. A far cry from the joyous lines that wrapped around the block back before the man told them to stop their runaway gay licensing.
I'd like to think that my joy doesn't preclude yours. But it would be nice to see a little more joy all around.