Restless Legs Diary

The story of me and my legs trying to get along (and maybe even sleep together)

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Rainy, sleep. Downloading CDs

I'm still on the smallest dose of Gabapentin prescribed, but it seems like I only notice any effects of the drug when I've had a couple drinks. Then I get pretty groggy. I've stayed pretty groggy into the morning for the last couple days as well. That's no surprise today, with the dark, drizzly weather.
Other than that, there have been no bad effects from the drug. And drowsiness at night isn't really a down side, is it?
On Monday, I used the day off to download 50 free songs from an online service for free. There was an offer in Paste magazine. You still had to put in your credit card info, but all the small print made it seem okay. I got the 50 songs downloaded at a free wi-fi cafe and just canceled the account. Voila! I'm the proud owner of "Real Gone" by Tom Waits, "Roomsound" by Califone, and I've replaced my much-missed copy of "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel that was stolen in Victoria.
One annoyance with the service (eMusic, to be clear): The songs are downloaded in handy artist/album/song folders, and then iTunes happily accepts them. Then I burn the CDs, and find out the tracks are in no particular order. Arrrrg.

I almost wanted to keep the service. It's got a pretty deep library, including lots of weird stuff like OOIOO and some punk Italian album for children. And it's convenient to just download things that are stuck in my head. Like one Destroyer song. And the Spent song with the line "Portrait of the artist with his face punched in" that's been stuck in my head since hearing it between bands at a Helium concert, oh, 10 years ago.
But, then, I'm cheap.
Here I am touching a real live glacier.