Restless Legs Diary

The story of me and my legs trying to get along (and maybe even sleep together)

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Shaky legs syndrome?

So I had a friend visiting from Michigan. And I had to explain that I have a bed upstairs where I can shake my legs:
"Why do you have to shake your legs?"
"I just lie there and, when I'm really relaxed and about to fall asleep, I just have to move my legs."
"That's weird. [Pause] Does it have a name? Shaky Legs Syndrome or something."
"Pretty much. They actually call it restless legs syndrome, which is almost as dumb."
"Do they have anything you can take for that? Herbal stuff or ... "
"Yeah. I've tried all that. There's a Parkinson's drug you can take, but it doesn't work for me."
"How long have you had this?"
"Oh, since I was a little kid."
Silence.
So if anyone wants to contribute a respectable-sounding name for this, I'm all ears.